Wednesday, July 11, 2007

It works, then it doesn't

Well, as you may well know from my constant complaining about the laptop, I finally got it to work and I was laboriously typing away to update you on what's going on and even gave a lot of background info and what we can expect in the future, and then when I went to post the thing, the connection was too weak to find the server and I lost everything I had typed. AAAAAARRGH!

So now I'm typing in a Word document and hopefully will save it and paste it in later. You just can't imagine my frustration. (Update: couldn't get back on so I'm in another room on the hospital computer transcribing from the laptop onto this computer.)

I haven't heard from the doctors since this morning and she did get the xray, but I hadn't heard what was the result from the xray. So I was asking our day nuse and he went and printed up all the final results for me from all the CTs and xrays from the last few days. Just for kicks I was thinking about typing all that out for you to decipher the medical jargon, but then I was too lazy . . .Eh, why not? I'll put down the findings:

"Contrast persists in the cecum and proximal ascending colon. there has been significant interval increase in the amount of the colonic gas. dilated and gas-filled loops of small bowel persist. These findings are most consistent with incomplete small bowel obstruction." There, now we are all educated!

So basically, a little bit is going through, but not enough to go home on. It is definitely still a problem. They are wanting to see free-flowing traffic. They are still waiting to see if she will resolve this on her own.

What does this look like long-term? Well, the doctors just don't know. Worst case, she could have this for many years to come. Diet? The docs say that "everyone should be eating diets with high fiber. Lots of fruits and veggies. By the time stuff reaches the small bowel, everything is pretty much liquefied anyway. This is not a constipation issue. Purely mechanical." There is no treatment or prevention of scar tissue. Nothing they can do long term. And yes, this is uncommon in children. Something they see more as a geriatric deal.

I hope this answers many of your questions. I've asked these questions many times and in many different versions trying to get a different answer but the answer is always the same. Thanks for checking out the blog before calling. Lots of people say they do that and their questions are answered before they call. I try to update as I know anything so you really are getting the latest. Keep praying for our girl! She's a trooper! She loves having visitors; it gets her out of bed and out of a funk.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Yuki and Yumi,
The nurse hung up the phone earlier, so Mikaela phoned again shortly after 9:00, but no one picked up in your room. We pray that things are improving and will call again tomorrow. Sleep tight!
Love, Gail & Mikaela

Anonymous said...

Hi again Yumi and Yuki! This sure is turning into quite the waiting game! I'm so happy to hear that the pain has lessened substantially. That's a huge answer to prayer!!

Yuki, I have to tell you, I about fell out of my chair with your "free flowing traffic" comment! Especially after just having read your post griping about Seattle traffic.

Anyhow, I got all caught up in my day and totally forgot to give Yumi her joke for today, so she can wake up to it in the morning.

LOT 'S WIFE
The Sunday School teacher was describing how Lot 's Wife looked back and turned into a pillar of salt, when Little Jason interrupted, "My Mummy looked back once, while She was driving," he announced triumphantly, "and she turned into a telephone pole!"

I'll keep praying!

Love, Mrs. Davison

Anonymous said...

Praise the Lord for Air Conditioning! Jenny told me it was 92 in her house today! Yikes! Mine stayed at a nice 73 (but I shouldn't gloat). I wish I could compete with Mrs. Davison in the joke department but I get all my "material" from Yuki so it is probably old news to you Yumi. I guess I'll go for the "longest Blog Comment" award instead, K? Yuki, Chilis without me? Grrrrrr Well, this morning was my first time out of the bedroom since Sunday. Very yucky yucky cruddy bug going around! I'm up and about again. That's what I want you to be too Yumi, up and about! We're praying without ceasing girl! God has a plan and His ways are not our ways sometimes, but I know you trust Him in all things. Okay, here is my best attempt. The teacher asks a student in the class what she would have if she had 8 oranges in one hand and 7 in the other and the student answers "Big Hands!" Okay, Okay, how about this one. The teacher tells George to go up to the front and find North America on the map so he does. Then she asks the class who discovered North America and the class answers "George!" Okay so a blonde asks a passer-by "What time is it right now?" they answer 11:25. The blonde says, "You know, that's funny, because I've asked that EXACT same question 30 times today and people have given me 30 different answers. Hm" And for the finale (and I did debate the appropriateness of this particular joke but after reading all the blog entries about passing gas and the doctor's looking for "free flowing traffic" I thought Yumi would enjoy it). The Doctor Says: Nurse, nurse, how is that little girl who swallowed 10 quarters last night? Nurse replies: No change yet. With that I shall say Good Night (or I guess it is morning now). Yuki, now that I'm not spreading a flu bug if I can help with Danielle and/or Everette please let me know. We can make it work, okay? Talk to you soon!

Kerri

Anonymous said...

Okay, I'm annoyed. I just posted a really long message for ya'll and hit publish and it said "Page Expired" and threw me out and my message is gone. Maybe it will still show up but I doubt it. I will try to "re-enact" the entire moment in the morning when my eyes will stay open. Love ya!
Kerri

Anonymous said...

I miss you Yumi and I like you. And Yumi, can you talk to Ayana when you are done being sick? And I know I like you. The End.
Love Mariko

I want to hug you. I love you. I am going to pray for you.
Love Ayana

Anonymous said...

I had a really great time with yumi yesterday. I hope that she's getting better and will be able to eat soon.
Your Friend,
Lacye

Yukiko said...

Kerri, it looks like your long blog comment made it through cyberspace! But, welcome to my world! Since you mentioned it, I don't yet have Friday covered for the kids...I'll tty to call yoou today.

Jodi, I was missing your daily joke yesterday so I'm glad you made up for it. ;)