Thursday, July 19, 2007

Greetings, from Children's Hospital . . . still!

Hello everyone! My, I'm up early! I guess that's what happens when you go to sleep before midnight!

Yes, we are still up at Children's. Yumi was trying hard to eat enough yesterday to be able to go home but then about 5:30 she started having some pain in her belly again. She had been also drinking a lot, per the docs recommendation. After the dilautid, she got pretty nautious and got some zofran. It took quite awhile to get over the nausea, but she finally started to feel better and was eating crackers and drinking water again. No pain this morning, so the docs say to eat smaller, more frequent meals. Don't overdo it, they say. They said maybe we can go home tommorrow... They did order an xray this morning, though.

Basically, they are thinking that she still has a narrow passage in her small bowel, so it's like the shower drain. If you keep running a lot of water, it will get backed up, but if you take shorter showers and give it time to drain in between, you should still be able to have showers on a regular basis.

Another thing, they are putting her on a low fiber/low residue diet. This is so strange. It consists of white bread, highly refined wheat & flour products. Well-cooked or canned vegetables. No whole grain, beans, or nuts. The idea is that these foods take longer to digest and go through the bowels slower and also produce less and softer poop. She is to stay on this diet for about a month.

I am torn between wanting to get home (I have a major Bible study project due on Tuesday) and staying here. I am so afraid that a day or two after we get home she will just have another obstruction and we'd have to come back up here. And getting admitted through the ER is no walk at the park.

So I apologize for not posting yesterday. My pda has failed me and obviously the laptop still doesn't connect. I was hoping that we'd get to go home yesterday and that I'd just post from home. My plan is to go home tomorrow night and work on Saturday; hopefully Yumi will be home by then. If not, I'll have David come up here Friday night and Dani and Everett will go to Michelle's for the night. I am struggling with what to do about work. I can't keep canceling and moving all my clients, or else when I do get back I will have no clients left! I know Sarah (my boss) is concerned about Yumi, but she still has a business to run and it's stressful when I'm not there and they are having to pick up my slack. I guess they've been so busy the last couple Saturdays that they have turned away a lot of clients!

Thanks for continuing to pray for us. The Lord is totally in control and He has a purpose in all of this. Praise God for all the family and friends that have stepped up to help with childcare and meals.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Yumi and Yuki.

Real food! Too cool! The new diet sounds interesting. Low fiber sounds quite counterintuitive. I've always equated high fiber to helping things move. But the way you explain it makes sense.

So Yumi, here's your joke for today

CHURCH SMILES
There was a very gracious lady who was mailing an old Family Bible to her brother in another part of the country. "Is there anything breakable in here?" asked the postal Clerk.

"Only the Ten Commandments," answered the lady.

Hehehe!!

Keep smiling girl!

Love, Mrs. Davison

Anonymous said...

Yuki & Yumi: We are all hopeful that you will get to go home soon. Mr. D and I need our "Yumi fix"!!
You are in our thoughts and prayers.

Ritz & Bob