Saturday, May 3, 2008

NG tube is out! yay!

Tonight around 7:30 Yumi pulled out her ng tube. Things were still going okay and the nurse said the docs gave the okay for the tube to come out. Yumi was very nervous since pulling it out is uncomfortable and makes her gag and tastes nasty too. She's doing well and is allowed a few sips of water and some ice chips. Hopefuly soon they will advance to clear liquids, which include jello. I'm thinking if she tolerates all these things well she may be able to go home tomorrow. Yay! Of course, the risk is always that she will start being nauseous and vomit. I was somewhat cautious about taking out the tube too soon because to put it back in will be torture on that poor kid.

I'll post tomorrow as soon as I know anything! I'm glad for a short visit here. Selfishly, we may make it home in time to work more on my latest project!

2 comments:

Mary Shinn said...

My father (Yumi's great-grandfather) often referred to the hospital as the "horse pistol." Not sure why...but I sure hope your visit to the horse pistol is short.

Yukiko said...

That's funny, Mary. I was having lunch with some senior-type ladies at their retirement home and one of them kept talking about how they haven't had fish in awhile and how she really likes the "horse-lip". She couldn't remember what the fish was called but it was something like that. Turned out she was talking about halibut!